Internal Reform Initiatives
In 2000, CODE-NGO created the Commission on Internal Reform Initiatives (CIRI), which established the mechanism to enforce the Code of Conduct and strategies for upholding standards of good governance. The CIRI handles the process of addressing any complaint against violations of the Code of Conduct by CODE-NGO member networks and organizations. The CIRI also campaigns for CSO good governance, including among others, the following:
– Certification of member networks and organizations by the Philippine Council for NGO Certification (PCNC)
– Self-assessment by member networks and organizations using the CODE-NGO Good Governance Checklist
– Inclusion by member networks and organizations of not just legally mandated benefits, but also health and life insurance, as minimum provisions for CSO program and project staff, as part of the strategic thrust on “Caring for NGO Workers”.
Philippine Council for NGO Certification (PCNC)
NGO Accountability Group (NAG)
From August 2014 to July 2015, the Commission on Internal Reform Initiatives (CIRI), worked hand in hand with the CICB and the Advocacy Commission in pushing for CSO good governance within the network and within the sector. Continuing efforts were conducted in the membership campaigns for renewal of commitment to the Code of Conduct, certification by the Philippine Council of NGO Certification (PCNC), and adoption of CODE-NGO’s Basic CSO Good Governance Checklist.
On top of these campaigns, the CIRI also worked this year on clarifying the performance monitoring systems of member networks and took primary steps towards institutionalizing systems for MNs to monitor member base organizations (MBOs). The commission also reviewed and proposed amendments to the CODE-NGO policies on membership and on secretariat performance evaluation, and initiated within the network and with the Commission on Audit and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) discussions on guidelines for the accreditation of CSOs accessing public funds.
Members of the Commission on Internal Reform Initiatives
(For Fiscal Year 2015-2016)
Chairperson: Aurora Chavez-de Guzman, CBD
Vice Chairperson: Michael Hojas, CenVISNET
- Lemia Simbulan, AF
- Jimmy Fong, CORDNET
- Emma Elardo, EVNet
- Joemil Montebon, MINCODE
- Marichelle Candado, NATCCO
- Lilia Orioste, NCSD
- Rene Fortuno, PBSP
- Nestor Carbonera, PHILDHRRA
- Vicky Segovia, PHILSSA
- Emmanuel Areno, WEVNet